Rent, buy or build

We have compiled an overview of accommodation types to suit different needs – whether you want to rent, buy or build in Ikast-Brande Municipality.

Living room in bright apartment


    How to find accommodation?

    It can be difficult to find accommodation in Denmark that suits your needs while you are in Denmark. If you want to find accommodation, you can:

    • Put your name down on a housing association waiting list. Ikast-Brande Municipality has an agreement with local housing companies that commuters have the right to housing without registering on the waiting list. Read more about the commuter advantage
    • Check the ads in the daily newspapers, local papers or special housing newspapers. You can also place an ad stating that you are looking for accommodation
    • Search the Internet. At you can search rental property in the Ikast-Brande area in English. You can gain free access to the Internet at your local library
    • Put a notice up at local supermarkets
    • Ask family, friends and acquaintances. It is also commonly used to ask around in local town Facebook-groups
    Forrige Næste
    21.04.2020 18:11


    Renting a home

    Rents in Denmark vary widely, depending on the location, size, and general condition of the specific dwelling. You can rent a room, a flat or a single-family house.

    In small towns and in the countryside, it is usually easy to find rented accommodation at a reasonable price, whereas in the capital of Copenhagen and in the second-largest city of Aarhus, affordable accommodation can be somewhat harder to find.

    You can rent either from a private landlord or a housing association.

    There are many housing associations in Denmark, covering a wide range of flats and single-family houses built with public subsidies. The rent is typically lower than for other types of rental accommodation, but they are often difficult to obtain for foreign nationals because they are usually let out on the basis of a waiting list.

    In Danish, the concept “to rent” is “at leje”.

    A standard rental contract for private letting can be downloaded via the website of the Ministry of Housing, Urban and Rural Affairs:

    Subletting is quite common and for many the first place of residence is often a temporary one.

    What housing choices are there?

    If you do not receive company-provided housing, you can either choose to rent or to buy housing.

    Most foreign nationals who work in Denmark choose to rent their home, as it is the type of home with the least obligations.

    In general, it is difficult as a foreigner to buy real estate in Denmark. When buying real estate in Denmark, there are two main kinds:

    • Traditional owner-occupied housing, which the owner has at his or her own disposal
    • Cooperative housing, where you own a property together with others and run it as a cooperative housing society.
    Before signing a rental contract

    When renting a home, please make sure you get a rental contract, and check the following before you sign it:

    • Read the terms carefully and make sure it describes the specific terms and conditions clearly. A standard contract has been issued by the Danish Ministry of Social Affairs and Integration
    • You will typically have up to three months’ notice to terminate the lease, which applies to both the letter and yourself as a tenant
    • A deposit is usually required. Normally one month’s deposit for a room and three months’ deposit for a flat. Whether you get the full deposit back depends on the condition of the flat when you move out
    • Do not pay any deposit in advance without having a contract
    • Normally, utilities such as heating, water, and gas are not included in the rent. If they are, it will be specified
    • Check the room/flat personally before signing the rental contract
    • You must report any defects in the flat no later than 14 days after you have taken it over. Otherwise you may have to pay for the defects yourself.

    A standard rental contract for private letting can be downloaded via the website of the Ministry of Housing, Urban and Rural Affairs.

    Buying real estate in Denmark

    In general it is difficult as a foreigner to buy real estate in Denmark. Depending on where you come from there are certain rules.

    If you are a national of an EU/EEA Member State, you may buy real estate in Denmark without applying for permission as long as the property is to be used as your all-year dwelling, or the property is necessary for you in order to operate as a self-employed person.

    If you are a national of another country than an EU/EEA Member State, you must apply to the Ministry of Justice for permission to buy real estate in Denmark. When the Ministry of Justice has received all the information necessary for considering an application for permission to acquire an all-year dwelling, the expected processing time is usually about four weeks.

    For more information, please consult a real estate agent or read more about the rules on the website of the Ministry of Justice.

    How do I find a place to live?

    There is no central register of vacant private rental property. It is the individual letter’s decision how to advertise a vacant flat and to whom the flat is to be let.

    Flats and rooms for rent are often advertised on the Internet or found through colleagues, friends and acquaintances.

    There are rental property portals where you have the opportunity to search for private rental property throughout the country. On the rental property portal,, you will find a detailed presentation of more than 550,000 council housing dwellings.

    On the Internet, there are many sites where you can find estate agents. General advice:

    • Search the Internet
    • Read ads in daily newspapers, local papers or special housing newspapers
    • Sign up on a waiting list
    • Place a notice in a supermarket, most of them have a board for ads
    • Ask family, friends and acquaintances.

    As finding accommodation is particularly difficult in the capital of Copenhagen, the City of Copenhagen has gathered more specific information on accommodation:

    Student accommodation

    If you are an international student, you can apply for student accommodation. Contact the international office at the school or university, where you will be studying.

    There are many student residences. Some of them are privately owned with their own independent administration. In the Danish capital of Copenhagen you can, free of charge, get on the waiting list for a student residence at “Kollegiernes Kontor I København”, which is an organisation that administers accommodation for approx. 5,891 students and young people in Copenhagen and the surrounding areas.

    Change of address - when living in Denmark

    If you want to change your Danish address, you have to inform the authorities. This can be done online via the online service you activate by clicking Start. Before you can use the online service you need to have a digital signature called NemID. You can read more about NemID via the link below.

    To order a NemID you need, in most cases, to contact your local citizen service center and show valid identification. To read more about NemID and what kind of valid ID to bring:

    Order NemID online

    The digital ordering process of NemID is in Danish only and it requires a Danish driver's licence or a Danish passport to order a NemID. If you have a Danish driver's licence or a Danish passport, you can order a NemID via the link below:

    You can at the earliest inform the authorities of your change of address four weeks before you move and it must be done no later than five days after you have moved to your new home.

    You also have to inform the postal service, Post Danmark, of your relocation. This can also be done online with NemID.

    Housing benefits

    Housing benefits are a grant that you can get to help pay your rent if you are renting a home with its own kitchen. You must have a permanent address there, meaning you have to stay at the residence for more than half the time of your tenancy. Housing benefits are administered by Udbetaling Danmark - Public Benefits Administration.

    Find more information about housing benefits:

    Written by, Consortium for Global Talent, Business Region Aarhus, Ministry of Justice, City of Copenhagen and Udbetaling Danmark

    More about renting and buying accommodation

    Rented accommodation
    • If you rent a room or house in Denmark, it is advisable to ask for a rental contract. A rent contract establishes the rights and obligations of both landlord and tenant. These include the rent, the size of the accommodation and its condition when you enter and leave.
    • If you rent accommodation via a housing association, a written rental agreement is required by law.
    • If you sub-rent from a tenant, the sub-rental agreement must always be in writing.
    • When you rent from a private landlord, a rental agreement is not required by law. Even so, it is advisable to enter into a rental agreement in writing. If the landlord is unwilling to provide a rental agreement, you are advised to ask why not.

    In Denmark, the tenant is normally asked to pay a deposit and three months' rent in advance, payable either before or on the date of entry.

    If the rent is too high, you can apply for rent subsidy (in Danish: boligstøtte) from the municipality. Rent subsidy is means-tested and dependent on your income. You can apply for rent subsidy at your local Borgerservice. You can read more at about rent subsidy in Danish at

    Buying a property

    If you are interested in buying property, an estate agent can tell you how to buy a house or apartment. If you do not reside in Denmark or have not previously lived in the country for a minimum of five years, you will need permission from the Ministry of Justice to purchase an owner-occupied home. You must send an application to the Ministry of Justice, enclosing information about the property you wish to purchase together with a copy of your residence permit.

    You can expect to be granted permission if you intend to use the property as your permanent residence. If you are an EU citizen, you can purchase your owner-occupied property without permission from the Ministry of Justice if you intend to use the property as your permanent residence.

    An estate agent sells property and can give you details about and show you round properties on sale. There are many real estate agents in Denmark. Most belong to real estate agent chains. In Denmark, the buyer will normally take out a building society loan in order to finance his purchase.

    The building societies (in Danish: realkreditinstitutter) offer mortgages secured against the value of the house or apartment. As a rule, the loan covers up to 80% of the value of the property, and is repaid over 30 years. However, the building society will assess your ability to pay off the loan before approving it. It is therefore important that you have a job and a regular income.

    In Denmark you pay tax on the value of your home.

    Buying a cooperative housing property (in Danish: andelsbolig)

    A housing cooperative is a cooperative founded for the purpose of purchasing, owning and operating the property the cooperative members live in. When you buy a cooperative housing certificate, what you are buying is a share of the cooperative's assets, and the right to live in the cooperative housing.

    Once you have bought a cooperative housing property, you have to pay rent to the housing cooperative. The price of a cooperative housing property, including any improvements made, is determined in accordance with the Danish Cooperative Housing Act, and the seller is not legally permitted to demand higher payment for the property.

    Private cooperative housing properties are offered for sale through real estate agents, so contact your local real estate agent or search for available properties at

    Contact a bank for assistance in financing the purchase of a cooperative housing certificate.

    Further information is available from the Municipal Citizen Service Department (Borgerservice) regarding the tax implications of purchasing cooperative housing. Contact Borgerservice at +45 9960 4000

    Further information on cooperative housing is available at